Friday, November 15, 2013

Grade 3: Leaves and Lines Resist

Third grade is finishing up resist paintings of leaves. We discussed warm/cool colors, line, repetition, contour lines and fall leaf colors for this project that couples oil pastel and watercolor. Originally, the cool colors were to be in the background and the leaves were to be painted in fall/warm colors. I have to say, I was quite impressed that my students asked to use their artistic license and deviate away from this plan. I had a boy walk up to me with a straight face and say "Mrs. Johnson, I feel that I need to use just a touch of warm colors in my background. I think that it will make the painting look better..." I love discussing art with children in a way where it's a consultation and they know that their opinion about their art matters the most. So, taking risks, and use of artistic license is what they did and I am quite pleased with the results. 







No comments:

Post a Comment