Monday, May 14, 2012

Grade 2: Mexican Serape

I've realized that I am drawn to the messier materials (except glitter) for some reason. It was nice to have my second graders working on the drawings for the Mexican serape project today.
We loved looking at this beautiful fabric
I loved talking to my students about where they have seen serape fabric before. Most answers detailed family trips to Mexico, trips to Shop Rite and displays in Senora Morrison's Spanish classroom. I loved the recall. 
Gathering the kids around the demo table, I spread the serape out and we touched it and admired the beautiful colors. I was excited that when I asked where value is seen in the serape, my students identified areas of light and dark blue.
Intricate center design
We talked about the designs and how they were created using lines with a neat center design that is more elaborate. How can you create a design using only lines? Here is a sketch and the start of the  final serape a student completed.






No comments:

Post a Comment